Journey of RED


Someday around the mid of September 2015, I came across this film festival by an NGO called Antardrishti – Drishti Short film festival. They were calling for films less than 10 minutes in duration on the theme of eye donation. The deadline was almost a month away. Having just made 4-5 short films earlier with friends of which only 2 are still in youtube and the rest are the embarrassing amateur attempts, that felt like a huge leap for me.

As part of brainstorming, I started watching videos on blind people, short films that are already made on the theme, previous year winners of the contest etc. I jotted down every idea that struck me. Few of which are interesting that I’ve still reserved them for my future projects.

Once I start working on a project, I prepare few dialogues that would form the crux of the story and weave scenes around them. Few of the dialogues that didn’t make it to the final draft –
“All I see is just black!”
“You see the truth. Black is the truth. You see truth as it is and we’re just seeing light bouncing off things!”

I was playing around with these dialogues, having a hero and a heroine with the heroine being blind, hero wanting to present her a gift. I explored more on the gifts that can be given to blind people. (There actually is a short film by the name Present, if I remember correctly – almost on the same idea). But my version climaxed with our hero choosing experiences as gifts over physical objects.

Before starting to write down the script, I wanted to watch interviews of blind people to see them react to sound and space around them. While browsing across various videos in youtube, I came across the videos by Tommy Edison, particularly his video on colours. That was the spark.

“Colours can’t be understood unless you see it” – This became the core idea. I then wanted someone to be confused about it and another character to clarify it. Being a graphic designer myself, I made the main character, an aspiring graphic designer whose major part of work deals with colours. I started sketching out scenes for him. He getting ready for a job interview. The interview scene where he is asked the question – “How’d you explain the colour Red to a blind person? “. Still I was not clear how to conclude the story. My initial thought was to have a deep conversation scene between the main character and a humourous blind person (inspired from Tommy Edison himself).

I used to listen to music while writing down the script. While working on the first draft of Red, I was listening to the “kannathil Muthamittal” soundtracks by AR Rahman. The “sundari” song from the album was playing and it suddenly struck me, why not have a child resolving the question? And I came up with the pivotal line, “Just make them see it”. There was no stopping after that. I finished the first draft the same day and was really happy the way it shaped itself during the process.

But I couldn’t make the film that year and I had to let the contest pass.

2 years later, I came across the same contest on the same theme and I was super excited. I was older by 3 films and had a camera of my own. Vanilla Studios had established itself as an end-to-end production house(with just me beside my equipment :p).

I took the core concept and rewrote the script with crispier scenes. I got in touch with Charles (Father of Geona, our child artist) and Ankith to play the main characters. Then, Jeevan and Shilpa joined in to make the cast complete. I wanted to shoot the interview scene of the film in Chalk Studio where I interned before joining Wipro, but couldn’t secure permissions. Then I came across this amazing design studio called Lollipop, who were more than happy to help us with the shoot. Their studio really added a character to the film.

I made the film in a week. The interview scene was shot the day before the deadline. I had to record the dialogues on the day of the deadline. I completed editing by night and submitted it a minute before midnight. It went on to win the Golden Eye Award that year.

Again 3 months ago, I came across another contest on the same theme but they wanted a film of 3 minutes or less running time. Hence I had to make Red, super-short. I began trimming the scenes and thought why not jump straight to the climax scene and bring every element from the previous film and place them all in the same scene. I wrote around 3 versions for the 3 minute version. Then I met up with Peter, who played the lead this time and Vishnu to plan the shoot properly. We had a brainstorming session discussing camera angles and shots. Geona was chosen to reprise her role from the previous movie. Nandita (from Or Iravu) played a blind lady while her husband Jagadeesh played Geona’s father character.



The latest version of Red was shot in a half-day time at Cubbon Park, Bangalore. Jagadeesh introduced Alint, a pianist during the shoot. He composed the amazing score for the film. This is my second film to have an original score after Thiruttu Naaye and this time I really enjoyed the scoring process.

One important thing I had been neglecting all these years of filmmaking was the sound. I focused more on visuals and this made my films look half-backed except when I had narrations or making music videos :p. For this film, I tried sync sound for the first time. We recorded all the dialogues along with the shoot in my Rode videomic attached to Iphone. The output was pretty decent. Only drawback I found in those dialogues were the background noise of the traffic.

As usual I cut away the portions of the location sound where we didn’t have dialogues and filled those silences with ambient noise of traffic and park. Still I found the sounds of cars and horns distracting during the dialogues. I found a way to take the viewer’s mind off this. I took this idea from a Philip Bloom video. If you have a noisy video just show the viewers the source of the noise and their mind would mute the noise as the video progresses(Not the exact words). I added sounds of the cars and bikes which are prominently appearing in the scene. I also enhanced the effect by giving a panning sound so that it will feel immersive. Having watched the film already, if you feel that you didn’t notice all these, then I shall consider it a successful attempt.

I did the post-production of this project completely in Da-Vinci Resolve’s free version. In addition to being available completely free, it is a fully functional end-to-end post production suit. And the best in colour grading used by Hollywood studios. Moving to a new software felt a little odd in the beginning. But this being a short project, I had more time to explore the tools and get the hang of it.

Finally, Red is online now. You can watch it here and share your comments.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In search of an addictive narrative

I just can't wait to Shine!

Fear of responsibility...