Mumbai Dreams!

The Journeys that changed me…

A R Rahman was playing on my Nokia X2 and I was on my way to Mumbai on the a train to Panvel. It was about 2 weeks after the World Cup win by our nation. The spirit was very high all around the nation. Even I was high on spirits that I would finally be on-board. Being on-board is what we call being on a ship working. I was trained to be a Merchant Navy cadet and was awaiting an on-board training for nearly a year and the Mumbai journey offered me the much awaited ray of hope.

One of my friends introduced me to an agent in Mumbai who used to receive a sum of money from aspiring Merchant Navy Cadets to get placed in companies. The money will be used to bribe the HR of the particular company and part of it will be taken by the agent as a charge for his service (Is it?). The agent whom we (I and my father) were about to meet promised to take the money only after my placement was assured for sure. Dad was convinced of it and so we decided to meet him personally.

Being from Nagercoil has an advantage while in India because you feel really connected to anywhere in India. There seems to be a train to any place in India from Nagercoil or Kanyakumari. If at all our luck fails, more often it never does, and we always have a train from Trivandrum if we don’t have in both the junctions I mentioned. Thankfully we had a train from somewhere to Panvel going through Nagercoil Town Station. Panvel is a place in the outers of Navi-Mumbai.
We boarded the train from the Nagercoil town station and the coach we were in was empty except for us till we reached Thrissur. We had reserved tickets – thank God! Only at Thrissur people started boarding in our coach and it was immediately full, I could infer that the people who boarded were all of the same group or should I say, family. It’s just a day of journey. We boarded by morning and reached Mumbai the next morning.

Most of the first day, the train travelled through the stretch of Kerala going from Trivandrum to Kasargod. So all that we could see through the window was greenery and water and greenery and water. Nothing but green trees all around and water channels. And I could not get enough of capturing snaps after snaps of the greeneries all around. My X2 gave me the handy opportunity to capture them so that I can cherish them for ever.

Early next morning I woke up to find myself at a station called Aravali Road. Till date, it remains the most beautiful railway station I had ever seen in India. Don’t under estimate the number of stations I have seen. I have truly been to a lot of places. I came out of the coach and had a face wash. I then looked around to enjoy the scenery around me. It was a blue tinted early morning scene at a scenic railway station. I guess you will be able to picture it.

After a couple of hours of journey from there we finally reached Panvel. I was so excited. I am in Mumbai. I AAMM IINNN MMMMUUUUMMMMBBBAAAIIIIII. I believe you feel it too. I was in Mumbai. I was in Mumbai for the first time. I was in Mumbai the financial capital of India. I was in Mumbai the largest city in the world. I was in Mumbai, the FILMCITY, the tinsel town, the place where Bollywood films are made. I was in Mumbai where the stars live. I was in Mumbai where India won the world cup a few weeks back. I had had the same feeling earlier when I went to Chennai for the first time.

Mumbai – my favourite place in India. Most probably you’ll be seeing that as a blog post title soon.
(post to be continued…)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In search of an addictive narrative

I just can't wait to Shine!

Fear of responsibility...