Missed calls and unanswered Chat heads

The whole of the batman trilogy by Christopher Nolan, Batman would abruptly disappear while still in conversation with people often offending Commissioner Gordon and many others. But only when the catwomen does the same thing to him in the last instalment he realises it in an amusing way saying, “So this is how it feels like?” That was when he got the taste of his medicine.

I have so many of such weird behaviours like making people wait for my reply in chat (mostly because I used would be browsing with many tabs open simultaneously and often wasting my time deciding whether to close a tab or not – damn you, tabbed browsing) and not attending the phone while my friends call me (well, not intentionally but often accidentally because I used to have my phone in silent mode and wouldn’t mind throwing it away on my bed and go watch the tv for hours and coming back to see a double digit number of missed calls).

As hypocritical as it may sound, I want the “typing” to appear once I hit send and over 10 seconds of dial tone on the other side could make me restless. So that’s the taste of my own medicine. But after a while I started to understand that everyone has the tabbed browsing feature and tv watching habit. So I stopped complaining and decided never to pester someone with a double digit number of missed calls.

Ever felt the shock of seeing a double digit number of missed calls. I recently felt it. I was on the study leave in my home before the final semester examinations. There was two days to the first exam. At home, I never used to look at the calendar and if the leave was for over a week I would naturally lose my grip on the weekdays. I would have no idea what day it was. But the strange thing is – I used to read newspapers daily, work on my smartphone and watch movies almost half the time on my laptop. So the days are only inches away but my perspective vision is so low that they would never get registered in my mind.
So coming back to the point, it was two days to the exam as per my biological calendar (Is there even such a thing?) On the morning I woke up and prepared my mind so that I could pack up my things and get myself ready to set my journey back to college that evening. I read the newspaper, took the breakfast and such and after like 9.00 AM or something I came to my bedroom to take a look at my phone (I usually do this to call back if I had missed calls which always would be there more often than not).

I was shocked. There were 13 missed calls. Hold on! I was not shocked just because there were 13 missed calls. The thought process that was going inside my mind is serialized below.

First thing – it was a two digit number of missed calls and no one calls you so many times without a solid reason

Second one and the most important one – I have had many instances in my life when my biological calendar would simply betray me. I mean, what if it was the exam day and I am still at home about 500 kilometres away from college.

The second reason grew upon me instantly and brought me goose bumps. Had I been foolish enough to not look at the time table or the calendar properly? Did I lose track of the days of leave?

I called back and had the worst thing waiting for me the other side. Or the worst reason for call ever. Or the worst reason for “a bloody double digit number” of missed calls.

My roommates had called me for no reason. 13 number of times because they were totally bored and didn’t have anything else worthwhile to do. (LOL)

Thank God! I didn’t miss my examinations. And even now, I find it very difficult to reply to chat heads immediately or worse even attend a call when it arrives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In search of an addictive narrative

I just can't wait to Shine!

Fear of responsibility...